Overall, I’ve been really happy with my Dakota. It’s seen me through many (many!) miles of riding and not once let me down.
A couple of times, it did eject on rough ground but I was lucky enough to find it quite quickly on each occasion. Given that a GPS is pretty important to various long rides, I took to using the lanyard around the handlebars as extra security.
A couple of weeks ago, though, it started jumping out of the mount on the slightest of bumps. I supposed that the plastic of the mount had worn down and made it a loose fit.
So I went to level 2 bodging materials (level 1 bodging being cable ties and duct tape): superglue!
The idea was not to glue the Dakota in, but just to build up some extra material on the mount. With thicker rails, it should hold the GPS more securely. Also, Araldite is kind of tacky even after it has dried so that should help too.
Untreated bike mount
Treated bike mount
As you can see, I’ve just put a strip of glue along the rails. I let it dry overnight, then tested with some very rough trails. One trail was horse-hoof pocked and often causes bottles to fly out of cages: not a peep from the Dakota. Success! And cheap, too.